Priyanka Yoshikawa Crowned Miss Japan


Ariana Miyamoto was crowned Miss Japan last year and she was bi-racial and the first black Japanese woman to wear the crown. Now, Priyanka Yoshikawa is a 22-year-old, half-Indian Japanes crowned as Miss Japan. She was born in Tokyo to an Indian father and a Japanese mother. Priyanka's victory has received backlash from hyper-nationalists in Japan. Some of them comment "The idea is to have a Japanese representing Japan. I think it's bad that a 'haafu' has become the Japanese representative", while another posted: "I don't understand this selection criteria."




Despite the fact that she is a ‘haafu’ (Japanese word for ‘half’, used for mixed race), she said she was Japanese. "Yes, I'm half-Indian and people are asking me about my 'purity'. Yes, my dad is Indian and I'm proud of it. I'm proud that I have Indian in me. But that does not mean I'm not Japanese."











source

0 comments:

ASIA SMACK: We are not responsible for any comments by users on this site. You are solely responsible for your comment on this page. Please use appropriate language and do not submit your link, we reserve the right to moderate or delete all comments. Please read our privacy policy for more information. Please, DO NOT ADD LINKS in your comments, or it will be deleted. TQ.